I have weird taste in music. My top three Pandora stations are called Beach Boys Radio, Movie Soundtracks, and The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Weird. Taste. In. Music. And then some of my favorite songs of this moment: Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen (although I must confess I heard it first in Shrek), Cheap Thrills by Sia, Honey I'm Good by Andy Grammer, Lost Boy by Ruth B, and Home by Phillip Phillips. Weird. Taste. In. Music. This preface is so clarify that you might hate/love the same songs I love/hate. And that's ok.
Songs I Hate
- Baby, It's Cold Outside. How. how, how, how, how is a song about date rape played in the US? We are offended by EVERYTHING and ANYTHING, and yet I'm forced to listen to this song. (Hey, what's in this drink? Ew. Go home.)
- Santa Baby. [shivers] This song is creepy and horrific on every level. Hate. Hate. Hate.
- I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. Kill. me. please. ZHOAS.
Songs I Love
- Little Drummer Boy. I usually cry on this one. Little old me with nothing to offer is still loved. The Gospel, simplified: I am a poor boy, I have no gift to bring that's fit to give a King.
- All I Want for Christmas Is You. Adorbs all the time. Mariah Carey's best song.
- Twelve Days of Christmas. Straight No Chaser still makes me laugh every time with this, and my kids trying to sing along is sooo entertainingly arrhythmic.
- A Hallelujah Christmas. Because this Cloverton song uses the same melody as Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, it's beautiful but the message is also Christmassy. Maybe this makes me a sell-out, but I like it.
Songs I Might Hate or Love Depending on my Current State of Mind
- Let It Go. Honestly, I might belt this out so loud it'll make Idina Menzel cry or I might throw something at the radio in the hopes of shattering if permanently. It just depends.
- Mary Did You Know? I really do usually love this song but every once in a while, I'm compelled to just be like YES SHE DID THE ANGEL TOLD HER and flip the dial. (Well, let's be honest, I don't flip dials, I swipe to the left.)
- Pentatonix. Sometimes I'm like YAY and other times I'm like REALLY? AGAIN? Just depends. Their songs are great, but I feel that they get worn out with soooo much repetition.
You know, music is magic and love and twinkle lights and the smell of a Christmas tree and it makes the world go 'round and all that. So dance like a maniac or turn the station. I probably won't notice, because I'll be laughing at the weird lyrics my kids just made up to what used to be my favorite song.